As usual I left my home on Friday (TGIF- Thank God its Friday) last day of the weekend, I was elated I am gonna enjoy my weekend with friends. In the evening I got a call from my boss, he was livid with one senior guy, had a long discussion and I sneaked in the cabin. His tone was unusual and told me “you need to shift to Coimbatore for 6 months” As I heard those lines, my brain got exploded like a bomb. I was expecting a hike and he gave me “South” hike. lol. (Just joking).
Well, you never know what’s in store for you so I packed my bags and left for South. I heard about Coimbatore is known as the “Manchester of South India” due to its extensive textile industry. I can feel the heat now. My office place was far way from my home. Daily commuting from public transport was a big headache for me. I shifted to my Uncle’s place as he stayed near to my office.I was excited to see his new car as well. He brought new Elite I20. Well, he did not have any idea about other formalities, documents, so I looked up for car insurance in Coimbatore and I compared with other companies and got insured car in a week’s time. Buying insurance is an expensive affair but when trouble strikes your finances will be protected. You just mitigate the risk. I researched online and also visited quite few insurance companies office to know about their plans.
There are basically two kinds of Motor Vehicle Insurance:
- Motor Policy A (Third Party Risk) the ‘Act Only Policy’ covers third party damages up to Rs 6000/- only. Risk from fire and theft requires an additional premium
- Motor Policy B (Comprehensive Insurance Policy) protects you from the following eventualities:
- Damage due to man-made or natural calamities: Natural calamities include fire, floods, hurricanes, landslides, cyclones or earthquakes. Man-made calamities include theft, riots, strikes, malicious acts of vandalism or damage occurring in transit via road, rail, waterways or air
- Personal accident cover: In the event of an accident, it is important that you have personal accident coverage. You may also opt for a personal accident cover for passengers travelling with you, just to be on the safe side
- Third party legal liability: This would cover you for legal liabilities that result in permanent injury/death or damage to property, in the event of a mishap
The insurance policy is valid for a period of one year. If you do not make a claim during the policy period, you are eligible for a discount, which is adjusted against the renewal premium. In case your policy expires, you can still avail the no claim bonus if you renew the policy within 90 days of its expiry
To submit the claim you need to provide following documents to the insurance company:
- Vehicle Insurance Policy
- Original and a copy of the registration book
- Original and a copy of the driving license
- FIR in case of an accident involving third party injury or damage
- Claim form and the estimated cost of repairs from your workshop
Once the above-mentioned documents are submitted, the insurance company will inspect the damaged vehicle and authenticate the estimated cost of repairs. Once the surveyor has completed the inspection, the car can be repaired.
Also Keep in mind important points carefully while ensuring car insurance: –
- Fill up the proposal form yourself, answering all the questions correctly and sign it. This plays a vital role in deciding the premium and the admissibility of the claim. Incomplete or incorrect information may result in denying the claim to you. Therefore, never leave it to any other person to fill it up.
- Ensure that your and vehicle details are correctly recorded in the policy schedule. Make sure that every digit of vehicle registration number, engine and chassis numbers etc. are fully and correctly entered. Any error should be immediately got corrected as otherwise it would create trouble at the time of claim.
- In case of any material change you should inform us immediately so that it can be corrected by the way of endorsement
- Read policy terms, conditions, particularly the exclusions etc. very carefully. They are important from claim point of view.Remember, registration and insurance of the vehicle should always be in the same name with same address. Otherwise, the claim is not payable.
My Uncle thanked me for helping him out in buying car insurance in Coimbatore I told him don’t forget to renew insurance. As renewing is hassle free and just pay the premium on time. He gave me a delicious treat at Le Meridian hotel. We enjoyed the car ride and had best time together.